HIGHMARK HEALTH is a national, blended-healthcare organization and Integrated
Delivery Network based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Highmark and its subsidiaries
provide Healthcare services from eastern Ohio to Central Pennsylvania and all of West
Virginia. The non-profit company also manages a collection of chartiable foundations,
such as Highmark Caring Foundation.
Highmark IT priorities presented to DFC:
- Build-out and implementation of Jamf MDM system for Apple device management
and deployment, including (but not limited-to) Windows and Linux b server specs as
well as setting proper access and IP ranges
- Leveraged Highmark’s existing IT support ticketing system to provide knowledgeable
support to Highmark’s Mac end users.
- Collaborate with Highmark’s IT infrastructure teams to implement network and
security policies on the macOS platform, while being a resource for questions
pertaining to Apple products and policies.
Highmark business priorities presented to DFC:
- Provide a cost-effective team that can be boots-on-the-ground and collaboratively
work with the existing contractor that manages Windows PCs
- Ability to scale with the growth of Highmark and its Mac end users
- Adjust to changes in policies, initiatives, and projects down the road
How DFC Responded:
- Established a team of certified Apple professionals to operate on site at Highmark
utilizing Highmark’s existing support desk ticketing system to resolve hardware and
- Delivered a custom solution with Jamf MDM solution to manage and deploy
Highmark Macs, keeping with Highmark’s security and privacy needs in the
healthcare space as well as Windows and Linux b server specifications.
- Provided a ‘Mac lifecycle’ approach for deployment of new assets to replace
outdated ones while securely removing all data in compliance with Highmark and
government security policies before scrapping.
- Established an Apple inventory management program including, but not limited to,
maintenance and repair of damaged equipment as well as inventory. This allowed for
significant reduction in procurement costs in the first half of 2020
Managed Highmark transition to an entirely remote workforce after the COVID-19
lockdown. Mac end users experienced a seamless transition and continue to easily
work from home.
Ongoing DFC Initiatives:
- Remote deployment under Jamf. New Highmark employees can be fully set up and
integrated remotely without coming into the office.
- Remote service desk support resolving incidents over the phone or by remote access
to end user’s Mac.
- Our Highmark team continues to certify in the latest macOS and Jamf software
products, ensuring up-to-date knowledge and competency.
- Highmark comfortably continues to offer a Mac option to new hires and existing
employees, knowing it will be fully deployed and supported.
- Continual consulting. Even though we specialize in macOS, our architects are
consulted by Highmark on numerous Windows and Linux OS issues.
What’s Next For Highmark and DFC:
- Expansion of Highmark’s Jamf MDM system to include Allegheny Health Network’s
existing Mac workforce. Each of these AHN Macs will be enrolled and managed
under the same Jamf MDM system.
- New changes to the Jamf MDM system to accommodate AN architecture, including
managing several more domains.
- Our service desk support for macOS will soon include help desk tickets from AHN
doctors and employees while continuing to provide remote support and deployment
to the much larger AHN network.